Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Mud Room Progress

The mud room was high on the priority list when we moved in - well, half of it was. We had ordered our new washer and dryer (GE Profile front loaders) to be delivered the weekend we moved in, so life would be substantially easier if we finished the area behind it prior to their arrival.

Josh didn't really understand why I cared what the mud room looked like, but my personal view is that every room in our house should be presentable. Also, you must pass through the doorway to the room to get to the downstairs bathroom, so it would definitely be seen by guests.

My goal for the room is for it to eventually be pretty and functional. At this stage, it's neither.

Here is where we started:
Confession: I took this photo after we started, but wanted to include a shot of the original wallpaper.

The wallpaper was pretty terrible - it had to go along with the curtains and the cabinet. In its place I'm indulging my love of molding and charm in general and putting up bead board. For the wall color, I decided to go with something dark, since the laundry room seemed like a good place to take a risk. We (okay, I) went with Behr Ultra Starless Night.

So, two months later half of the room is done:

Half of the room is sitting, taunting me: 

The goal is to finish this room by the end of June. That means painting the other side of the room, putting up the rest of the trim and bead board, painting the door, installing coat hooks into the bead board, adding open shelving above the utility sink and changing the light fixture out. 

Fingers crossed for an on-time finish and note to self to tidy up before taking the next set of pictures!




No comments:

Post a Comment